What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

September 7th, 2009

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is a local council grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid when the council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs – and is happy that the work is reasonable and practical.

Who is eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and:

  • You, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property you can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period – currently five years.
  • A landlord may apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.
  • What you can use it for a grant can be used for essential adaptations to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and/or to provide essential facilities within it.

If you are disabled, acceptable types of work include:

  • widening doors and installing ramps
  • providing or improving access to rooms and facilities – for example, by installing a stair lift or
  • providing a downstairs bathroom
  • improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property, such as a child

An Occupational Therapist will look at your circumstances and can recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed.

Contact Inclusion for further information about our private Occupational therapy services and to find out more about how we can help you.