DFG Guidance

February 18th, 2012

Disabled Facilities Grants: DFG Guidance from

1. Overview on the DFG process - taken from

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant will not affect any benefits that you’re getting.

2. What you'll get

How much you get depends on your:

Household income

Household savings over £6,000

  • England: up to £30,000
  • Wales: up to £36,000
  • Northern Ireland: Up to £25,000
  • Scotland: Depends on your local council

Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account. Contact your local council for more information.

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

3. How you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • by instalments - as the work progresses
  • in full - when the work is finished

The council may pay the contractor directly, or give you a cheque to pass on - they’ll agree this with you when they approve your application.

4. When you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • when the council is happy with the finished work
  • when you give the council the invoice, demand or receipt for payment from the contractor

Normally, if you (or a relative) does the work the council will only accept invoices for materials or services you’ve bought.

5. Eligibility

You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:

  • own the property or be a tenant
  • intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)

You can also apply for a grant if you’re a landlord and have a disabled tenant.

The council needs to be happy that the work is:

  • necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs
  • reasonable and can be done - depending on the age and condition of the property

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

6. Planning and building regulations approval

You need to apply separately for any planning permission or building regulations approval.

The council may ask you to employ a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work. If you get a grant, you can use it towards the cost of their fees.

7. How to claim

You’ll need to find out:

  • what changes are needed to your property
  •  the type of work that needs to be done
  • the cost of the work

An Occupational Therapist can look at your circumstances and recommend the type of changes needed.

8. Application form

To get an application form, contact the housing or environment health department of your local council.

The council will normally need 2 written estimates for the work. They may be able to give you a list of builders or advise you about employing one.

Return your completed application to your local council before work starts on the property.

You’ll get the result of your application in writing within 6 months of the application date.

9. Appeals

You can appeal a decision about your Disabled Facilities Grant if you’re unhappy with it.

Ask your local council for their appeals and complaints procedure.

If you appeal and you’re still not happy, you can complain to the local government onbudsman.

For more information regarding Disabled Facilitity Grants and how an Occupational Therapist could help you then please contact us to see how Inclusion.Me could help you.