Independent OT Services
July 3rd, 2013
What Can An Independent OT Service Do For Me? Independent OT Services.
The British Association Of Occupational Therapists states that Occupational Therapists work with people of all ages, helping them to carry out the activities that they need or want to do in order to lead healthy and fulfilling lives.
Occupational Therapists, or OTs, work with anyone who may be experiencing physical, psychological and/or social problems, either from birth or as a result of trauma, illness or ageing. An OTs goal is to help clients have independent, productive, and satisfying lives.
When people cannot participate effectively in the activities of daily living which are essential to our quality of life, and which we all take for granted – such as having a shower, preparing a favourite meal, getting dressed, or going to work – an occupational therapist has the ideal skills mix to work with that person in improving their functional capacity and therefore quality of life. They can help the individual to develop or recover daily living and work skills, either through the use of purposeful activity or via specialist aids and adaptations.
How does the OT assessment process work?
Firstly an OT will look at identifying and assessing their clients difficulties and strengths. They may, for example, check physical ability to carry out certain tasks, assessing a persons range of movement, strength and balance. They then look at what items the individual may need to carry out the assessed activity, for example furniture or clothes, and finally they will look at the environment, for example the layout of the home or school. Next they will see what support is available. The final stage is to review which activities that person would like to be able to perform more easily.
Once the assessment process is complete they will start to explore new ways of doing things. Lets take for example a person who is starting to use a wheelchair for the first time. He must first learn to get around his home. It may be necessary to adapt the house by widening the doors, he may also need to look at ways of improving the strength in his upper arms. The aim of an OT is to work in conjunction with the client in looking at ways to facilitate, and put into practice, these alterations and improvements.
Independent OT Services
Inclusion specialises in independent Occupational Therapy (independent OT) assessments for any individual or group, helping those with a disability to work and live as independently as possible. Whether you’re finding certain tasks a bit more difficult as you get older, you have a disability yourself or you know or care for someone in this situation, Inclusion can help.
Our OTs goal will always be to maximise a client's quality of life and achieve optimal levels of functional independence wherever possible, alongside this we can also support carers where independence is not a realistic goal (for example providing manual handling advise and training to a Carer where appropriate).
With a huge range of assistive equipment and adaptation options available, making the right choice can often be a worrying and daunting decision......especially when it's so important to get right! How do you know what is available? Where do you go to buy equipment? How do you know what is right for you? How do you know if a supplier is reputable and won't try to use unwelcome hard sell techniques? Inclusion can help provide answers to these questions alongside expert, independent advise and guidance - Our team of specialist Occupational Therapists are always at hand to answer any queries you may have and where possible can even provide some free, impartial advise and support over the phone.
- Independent Occupational Therapy (private OT) assessments and intervention for people with disabilities, providing specialist independent OT reports, giving guidance and detailed recommendations around potential equipment, adaptations and rehabilitation options. Identifying and implementing clear treatment goals and plans as appropriate
- Housing needs assessments - independent / private OT reports designed to assist those clients currently negotiating or about to embark on the rehousing process
- Specialist OT equipment and adaptation reports - offering either a 1 off independent OT visit and report with clear and detailed recommendations for clients or case managers to then implement or alternatively an OT project manager/surveyor package to help design and oversee the adaptations process (an option ideal for those who are unable to organise work directly themselves)
- Independent OT Assessments in cases of review, complaint or potential litigation
- Housing Association OT Services - providing highly experienced, expert private OTs to assist with tenant waiting time reduction or new build/decent homes projects to name but a few.